Sunday, February 3, 2008

Who said the holidays were over???

I´m nervous, super nervous right now. Walking outside my house I have to hold my breath and hope that I don´t get hit with waterballoons. It´s Carnaval. What is Carnaval? Men in the streets urinating, drunks who won´t let you walk by without wrestling out of their grasp. Waterguns. Shaving cream. Whistles used as instruments. Fog horns used as instruments. Fireworks and firecrackers exploding above your head. Waterballoons- frozen, filled with urine, filled with paint, launched at the prize targets- females and foreigners. And if you are female and foreign, well... I´m just nervous.

In some areas they have gorgeous parades with people doing traditional dances. I sat and watched them practice for hours in Cochabamba. Where I live, they don´t do traditional dances. But the do form their ¨comparces,¨ little fraternities as they describe it to me. They drink together, party together, eat together, and prance around the plaza with their ¨queen¨on the back of a truck, barely clothed, dancing and getting hit with balloons and shaving cream. How beautiful, they say.

I´m about to head out to Valle Grande where the Carnaval celebration is even more ¨beautiful.¨ I think beautiful means a larger degree of the aforementioned. I hope I make it through. I took a waterballon in the eye the other day from a distance of just four feet away. I didn´t have the necessary vocabulary in Spanish to say what I wanted to say to that kid.

Wish me luck. I hope I don´t become overly belligerent on this ¨beautiful¨holiday.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

umm..Happy Tet/Carnaval!

nadieska said...

does this mean you're not walking the streets alone or are you? are you taking any pictures of this? There are nasty old men that hang out on the street corner in my grandma's neighborhood in Nica. I would either walk accompanied or run the 2 blocks to my aunt's house. I was scared then and they didn't even threaten me - I can't imagine them trying to grab me!

Unknown said...

I'm shipping you a marshmallow raincoat...or better yet, a big bubble, then you can just roll around from place to place!

anda con calma e buena suerte ;-)

Dave S. said...

Tammy - I thought you joined the Peace Corp. - your last Blog sounds more like a rowdy Spring Break trip! You could always be back in Minneapolis selling Crest toothpaste and whitestrips! You are missed by your old work crew, but we are very proud of the work you are doing!