Thursday, February 12, 2009

Give Me a Snickers Already.

Some quick updates:

Swear-in came and went and I actually ended up not really swearing-in again cause I guess you only get to do that once in a lifetime.


I also got moved into site which is the one I originally thought I would go to, Sanyang, about a 15 min bike ride from the beach. Life is back to normal. Perpetually awkward situations, children yelling NEE-HOW, and me leading groups of 15 women on gardening projects in Mandinka, when no, I still don't speak it.

I got lucky with a really wonderful host family. A mother who owns a fabric shop, three sisters ages 25, 22, and 12, three bros ages 26, 14, and 6, a little niece age 2, and a father who lives in Atlanta. Or Madison, Wisconsin. I'm not sure which cause I never get the same answer twice.

My family is highly educated and driven, relatively speaking, and they give me enough space while making me feel a welcome part of the family which is a delicate balancing act. The women in my family all could be on "America's Next Top Model" and they are quite the fashionistas, even by U.S. standards. Being that I wear Chaco sandals and dirty capri pants, their idea of integration is to make me beautiful. I don't know if this is a sustainable endeavor, but we gave it a go.

Thus far I have gotten hair extenstions in the form of Rasta Braids (an easy way to have long hair again if you can stand the intense itching, which I couldn't, and resulted in a Macy Gray fro, 100% natural. To all those who thought Asian hair couldn't fro, I beg to differ). I also get beautiful custom tailored outfits. Slightly difficult to walk in, but beautiful nonetheless.

On the health front, I have amoebas or parasites or something that has made my belly so swollen and full of gas that my pants no longer fit. And I have a small patch of skin fungus on my side, which pales in comparison to the larvae that hatched out of my boyfriend's arm. They call it a bot fly. These things lay eggs in your clothes as they hang to dry and then burrow into the skin. After a few days of incubation and hot water compresses and squeezing, out popped a little white squirming worm slightly larger than the size of a grain of rice. I almost lost my lunch.
For those of you who miss my witty analyses of life, they will resume in the next blog. I am finding that malnourishment really leaves little energy for life. Once I ate six bananas in one sitting I was so hungry. I'm in the city now where food is more abundant and I am going to go take advantage.
So until next time, leave your comments, questions, inspirational quotes and messages on the blog and drop some food in a care package and send it my way!









7 comments:

Unknown said...

1-EEEWWW GROSS!!!!
2-Boyfriend?! What?!

I need updates missy!

Britta said...

Im so glad to hear things are going well, minus the amoebas eeew. Keep posting! I miss you.

Howie said...

Finally looking at your blog! Been wondering what you are up to over there since you left. What an incredible life you're living! I'll visit your blog more often, especially when I need an escape...
-Howie

Indy Real Estate Girl said...

i almost lost my lunch on that larvae story too. gross. please take care of yourself!!!!!!!!

nadieska said...

I've been waiting for your blog! What is going ON down there? Skin Fungus? No food? Boyfriend? What?!?? Please explain the boyfriend part next time...ya can't just drop "boyfriend" and then not explain! :) Have you gotten my package yet? Sorry no food, didn't know you needed it. I'll send some next time. Stay safe, k?

nadieska said...

oh and how did you get your hair like that? it's pretty funny :)

Unknown said...

Holy fucking shitballs. I love the Fro quite a bit. The bf is a pretty good looking guy, he just better take care of you or I will fly over and whooop his ass.

The bot fly is a pretty common issue as I understand it, but I hope your hunger situation works itself out. The fungus and ameobas freak me out. seriously. Get that shit fixed.

Love you and miss you!