Friday, February 27, 2009

I Am Temporarily Lactose Intolerant

Thank god I already have a boyfriend…

Physically, I probably look like I’ve aged ten years since I’ve come here. My feet are not just dirty, they’re dry and cracked. I am growing fungus on my side. I thought it was just a mosquito bite. My skin has little lines in it, I believe some of them are called wrinkles, but the rest of them are just from the dryness. [Note to Readers: If you need an idea for a care package, Bath & Body Works lotion works miracles. It’s the only thing that does. Just make sure not to get bug-friendly scents.]

I also went through four months of strange stomach illnesses. I sent in a sample to the lab to be tested, and unlike the 24-hour turnaround that I was used to in Bolivia, here we have to send things to the U.S. to be tested, and I have been waiting since Thanksgiving to hear my results. I thought I had amoebas, giardia, or other horrific parasites. My stomach was incredibly swollen and I had stomach cramps and spent many nights on the latrine. Then a doctor comes along from the States to help out at our med unit. Previously we had two RN’s, who did great work, but could not diagnose my illness.

So the doc comes and tests me at a local lab and all results come up negative, except for the presence of white blood cells in the sample, but she seemed unconcerned. Her diagnosis: “Intestinal mucosa [has been] altered by the initial infection, by the altered motility due to the infection, and by the antibiotic therapy. Normalization of the mucosal lining takes weeks or longer. During this time, you may be lactose intolerant.”

In laymens terms, I can’t drink milk or eat milk products because my stomach is wrecked. By too many rounds of Cipro, too many rapid changes in diet, by new foreign foods, and by my former stomach ailments. What I need to do is let my digestive track heal and regenerate, but for the time being, since I have a defective digestive system, I am now temporarily lactose intolerant. Who ever heard of that???

Makes sense though, since after several months here I felt so malnourished I decided I needed milk. I then proceeded to put powdered milk in my tea, in my coffee, and in my cereal. Then I ate cheese like it was my job. I ate containers of yogurt thinking perhaps the bacterial would help my intestinal track. And there is this little delight known as chakary, which is coos mixed with sour milk and sugar. It tastes like yogurt with granola. A little stand sells it in my village and I was working towards being a regular. That just came to a screeching halt.

Doctor suggested I lay off milk products. Done. She suggested I boil water. Gas is too expensive for that. She suggested I stop eating oily and spicy foods. My food bowl is full of oil and so spicy I have to do that suck-in-the-air-thing-thru-your-teeth as I eat. She also suggested I have my family boil the veggies instead of fry them. She does not realize there are no veggies. It’s not her fault though, she had only been in country 2 days. How would she know??

So, I tried to listen. And I guess it was ok. But then I started getting that sneaking suspicion that maybe the doc didn’t know what she was talking about. So I tested her theory. I drank a glass of hot chocolate even though the packet read “CONTAINS MILK.” I also had a tiny bit of cheese in a tomato, ham, and cheese whole-wheat sliced bread airplane sandwich that was given to me by the Dutch folks who work at my garden. A sandwich with sliced bread!?!? I just couldn’t resist!

I should have tried harder. I really should have. Because I paid for that little bit of milk in the hot chocolate and that miniscule piece of cheese I ate. I paid for it and I paid for it. BIG time. All day and all night.

I now concede. Doc is right. I am lactose intolerant and I am calling the med unit to request some Lactaid. After all, I gotta stay healthy somehow, don’t I?

P.S. Thank you to all who inquired after my health. I did not realize my last post sounded so scary. I apologize. My stomach was just very full of gas and it was rather uncomfortable and I thought that bugs were eating me from the inside. But it was just gas.

Also, my fungus is doubled in size but not bothersome. I am treating it with athlete’s foot crème in conjunction with another fungal-fighting crème that I would rather not mention for fear of scaring readers yet again. Africa is not that bad. In fact, I love it.


Who AM I???


Remember back when I lived in Minneapolis? Remember when it was forty below zero and I had to leave my car in a heated garage or it wouldn’t start? Remember two feet of snow in the front yard?

I must not. Last night it’s seventy-five degrees and I’m sitting around a little charcoal stove in my host mom’s hut. We were trying to get warm.

It’s one of those moments where I wonder just who I’ve become. When I’m wearing a fleece and socks and it’s still in the 70’s, and I walk out in the afternoon heat of 115 degrees and think to myself, “Well, good thing today is nice and warm.” Granted, it’s a dry heat since it only rained for about five minutes in the last four months, and only small sprinkles really. But dry heat or not, I better get re-calibrated back to reality before I think of going home.


Who ARE you?

My phone rang this morning and it was a fellow volunteer from my training group. She had the urgent need to relay to me that her mother was following my blog and had called and said, “Marnie, I read Tammy’s blog and it's like yours...but funny!”

Apparently someone had set up a Parent Support Group through email for the moms and dads worried about their children in Africa and this is how this parent found my blog. With such sporadic communication, whether internet, cell phone, or good ol’ snail mail, I understand that it is nice for people in the U.S. to hear that their loved ones are doing well, even if it’s through Volunteer A’s mom, who talked to Volunteer A who talked to Volunteer B who says that Volunteer C no longer has amoebic dysentery.

This is fascinating to me. The interconnectedness of all of us. When evacuation happened, people really started coming out of the woodwork. I got emails from former Bolivia volunteers. Emails from parents of high-school classmates, high-school teachers, and old church members. I came back to the U.S. and had lunch with old acquaintances, and did a meet and greet with my mom’s co-workers who love following my blog. I never really knew so many people cared, so many people were interested, and so many people kept up with my life.

This blog helps meet goals two and three of Peace Corps, which is the cultural exchange between peoples of different countries. It takes a great deal of effort for me take my computer to some place that has electricity. Then to remember to take the correct adapters. Then to wait til the battery charges up and then take the computer back home to my two room mud hut and type out blog entries in the dark. I enjoy doing it though because I enjoy sharing my life and hearing from people.

I generally write about whatever random subject I am currently contemplating when I realize that I am again overdue for a blog post. In an effort to cater to my audience, I’d like some input from you. What you want to know, what you want to hear about. So stop right now, I mean RIGHT NOW, click the “comments” link, and answer these following questions.

  1. Who are you and how did you find my blog?
  2. What were you in the middle of doing just now? (If it was eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger and fries, OMG AM I JEALOUS!!!)
  3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
  4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
  5. What is the best/worst/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
  6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me???

Don’t even think about skipping my survey. Don’t. Cause in addition to fact that I do want to know my readers a little better (you just can’t get rid of the marketing side of me), it’s also a ploy to get to you to write to me. I worry about missing out on everyone’s life as I trek around the world on my prolonged Peace Corps journey. Now that you’ve read about my life, tell me about yours!

19 comments:

nadieska said...

Tammy, my dear, here you go: :)

Who are you and how did you find my blog?
You gave it to me.

What were you in the middle of doing just now? (If it was eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger and fries, OMG AM I JEALOUS!!!)
I'm listening to Brazilian samba and having fresh squeezed orange juice. It's the first non-lemonade thing I've digested in 10 days. It's called the Master Cleanse - no food for 10 days; the homemade lemonade is all that sustains you for that time.

What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
How can you have all these ailments and still LOVE Africa? Are you afraid of any permanent damage to your body?

How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
Mostly smiling and laughing :) A LOT of times.

What is the best/worst/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
My sailing trips to the BVIs and Greece...it was beautfiul!

And last of all, what do you miss most about me???
I miss having a super open-minded and intelligent friend in Minne that, even though we didn't talk as often as I would've liked, we could pick up where we left off the next time we saw each other. I MISS YOU!!

Em Cee McG said...

Tambone, It's George. I have to tell you something hilarious! I was in the restaurant Friday and a girl I did Americorps with in Alaska comes in. I hadn't seen her in a few years but I remembered she was planning on doing Peace Corps.
Well as it turns out you are dating her ex boyfriend in Africa. HAHAHA. What a small world! Good for you. I hope you heal and that your heart and soul stay as strong as they are. I'll have an extra piece of cheese for you! Take care
George

aiyeu said...

1. Who are you and how did you find my blog?
- Your loving sister, but of course! =) And quizas through you or the padres... I don't remember.
2. What were you in the middle of doing just now? (If it was eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger and fries, OMG AM I JEALOUS!!!)
- I'm in between classes and randomly clicked on your tabbed bookmark to see if you'd posted... success!! =D
3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
- When is the best time to call? Already answered via telephone, but ya olvide. =(
4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
- Lots of laughing, none of the rest. However, you forgot "cringed." I will pretend you asked that and answer "lots as well." =P
5. What is the best/worse/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
- Well, one that's not on my blog or the ants in my pants situation I already told you about is that one day, I was walking making a terrific effort to speak only en espanol (it was before I made my commitment for Lent), and in my grand effort, I didn't realize a concrete post had broken and was jutting into the sidewalk. I consequently walked into it full force, and the next thing I knew, I found myself on the sidewalk, looking up at the cotton ball clouds in the bright blue sky. No worries though, I took some ibuprofen, applied some salve and didn't suffer from a (severe) concussion... all small change in comparison to the lactose intolerance, larvae, fungus and aging that have come with the Gambia. ;)
6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me???
- Let's start with being on the same continent?! I'm finally in S. America... and where are you?? Africa! Can't wait til we are reunited once again!! (You can pick the country/continent.) =] Love you! Miss you!!

Jojo Lam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jojo Lam said...

1. Who are you and how did you find my blog?
I am your cousin. I link up via Facebook.
2. What were you in the middle of doing just now?
Listening to NPR. Bout to jump into bed. Raining in the Bay Area.
3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
What kind of scents don't attract bugs?
4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
Mostly I'm content to hear that you're well, amused by your commentary, and touched by your experiences. Something you ate sounded sick. Must have already repressed the memory.
5. What is the best/worse/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
I'm "seeing" a Vietnamese boy from Nebraska, with family in Indiana. Figure my midwest cousins would get the biggest kick out of that.
6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me???
I miss the random US opportunities to see ya!

Jesse's rant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jesse's rant said...

. Who are you and how did you find my blog? Well I hope you consider me an old friend from High School and You sent it to me on facebook when I asked how things were going....
2. What were you in the middle of doing just now? Just got home from work and got your message so I checked your blog out and now I'm typing this message:)
3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered? I guess I don't have one yet b/c this is relatively newer blog so I've not got to the end yet...
4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog? None yet!!! I can sympathize somewhat...when I was in Senegal I got a pretty bad stomach thing that didn't go away until I left... I was only there 2 months tho:)
5. What is the best/worse/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
Best son was born 2 yrs ago. Worst my g-pa past away rather suddenly...and I can't say i've had any really funny moments in awhile..

6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me? I guess I'd have to say your smile.

and my comment... I hope you get healthy and continue your good work..

Britta said...

1. Hey Tammers Its Britta, I found YOU one day walking around Samaipata, ME-"Hmmm I wonder who that Asian chick is over by Amboro tours... no she couldn't be PeaceCorps those pants are way to to hot and ummm are those highlight is her hair... Definitely not PeaceCorps" You- "O my god, who is that dirty hippie with those nasty stinky chacos, yuck, oh god i hope shes not in PeaceCorps too. What would we talk about..." Us two days later "Holy shit you are the funniest person ever, oh my god I cant believe we just ate so many pancakes!" Thats how i met you, fell in love and found your blog!

2. I was just posting some photos on FB from a totally fun weekend up at Lusten, Old friends good times. And i thought i would check out if anything new was going on wit you.

3. i want to know... a day in the life... do a post about just an average day in your life..."got up at bla bla ate rice with hot shit on it, had lots of latrine time, Thank god for the newsweeks..." you know all the little stuff you do each day.

4. I have totally cried, sorry its true, i miss you and honestly im a bit jealous that you are doing all this way badass cool fun stuff in AFRICA no less, and here i am driving my ass down 94 everymorning at 730 to go to work with the rest of the shmucks.I have laughed too,and worried about your poor little stomach.

5. oh so many moments you have missed, Like a fun evening at the VFW on Hennepin, whoa. The rest of Bolivia. We will have time to make many more memories.

6. Again so much i miss about you, I miss you gate with the ants marching across the top, and your little garden that could, i miss staying up late and talking about boys, and eating Kilos brownies, you teaching me how to be a lady, and me teaching you how to set up a tent and that a head lamp can be used for more than a reading light! Mostly i miss you beautiful face and smile, and the way you make me laugh and think about the world... now im crying again...

Im so happy for you and i will try to skype call you as soon as i can.

Joy said...

hi tammy! ha, i love reading your blog bc i get to hear about the REAL pc. i'm so lame and in the fake one where i have internet in my apt :P but there's no cheese in china bc i'm in a country of lactose intolerant ppl so you got me there.
1. your fellow former pc bolivia friend :)
2. just came back fr office hours with some hyperactive frosh students
3. if you were an animal, what animal would you be?
4. smiled a lot and felt bad for you for your various physical ailments (esp the fungus)
5. when i was in the chengdu airport and saw a sign on the handicapped restroom that was mistranslated as "deformed man end place" (love the chinglish)
6. your crazy dancing!

Unknown said...

1. Who are you and how did you find my blog?
I'm your brother's gf and he must have told me about your blog? Though I read it more than he does. ;)
2. What were you in the middle of doing just now? (If it was eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger and fries, OMG AM I JEALOUS!!!)
Reading a really boring textbook for class. (Don't be jealous.)
3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
I want to know everything about this bf of yours!!! (ok, that was more of a demand than a question)
4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
Laughed-a lot, almost threw up when I read about your bf's larvae and your potential parasite.
5. What is the best/worse/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
Hmmmmm...My brother got engaged last week! Though that wasn't a moment in MY life; my life is really boring right now because all I have time for is school.
6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me???
Your laugh and chats!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I thought of another burning question. What exactly does your hair look like now?! It has gone through so many transformations--very short, dreds, fro...?! I need a picture! I keep speculating with Tony but he really has no interest in hair.

Paul Park said...

1. pablo
2. working in an office in eldoret, kenya!
3. i'm only here for 3 more weeks. i have a horrible feeling that our africa re-uniting is not going to happen, right?
4. definitely laughed
5. went to eat with my kenyan boyz in a literal hole in the wall that perhaps has never had a foreigner. there is no menu except for #1-#5 which are the same thing in varying quantities. cost for #1: 12 cents. like a regular, in the native language, i yelled "number 3, dude!" the place errupted in laughter...i think i doubled the credibility of that restaurant by eating there. and took a cipro right after.
5. ms. truong doin her thing on the dance floor

dccaf said...

1. Kelly Chen, your friend from undergrad!
2. I just got home from class, eating some leftovers for dinner
3. I really admire you! I wish I was as brave and strong and beautiful (inside and out) as you are. What keeps you motivated?
4. I've mainly laughed and just enjoyed reading about your life there.
5. There was a moment that I missed, too ... I wish we all went back to IU last fall for the ACC's 6. I miss having you around because you have always been so determined and independent.

tdtruong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tdtruong said...

1. Who are you and how did you find my blog?
Thanh Dinh Truong. Second son of Thuc Truong and Le Nguyen. Coincidentially your brother. I found this blog through a promotional email. I think I didn't check an opt-out box when I was buying something online.

2. What were you in the middle of doing just now?
I just woke up (it's like 6AM) and I'm about to drink a protein shake and get on with the day.

3. What burning question do you have for me that I have not yet answered?
What are you going to do after the Peace Corps? When are you getting married? When does the first niece/nephew arrive?

4. How many times have you laughed, cried, and/or thrown up as you have read my blog?
In order: 4.5, 0, 7.2.

5. What is the best/worse/funniest recent moment in your life for which I have been absent?
Best: all the time. Worst: any time Rose has a paper due (read: all the time). Funniest: when Rose is falling asleep and talks nonsense/when Rose tells me story about how I'm falling asleep and talking nonsense.

6. And last of all, what do you miss most about me???
I don't understand the question. I talk to you about as much when you're in Africa as I did when you were Stateside (excluding the time I lived with you). In fact, I have more contact with you via blog than at any time in the last five years.

Indy Real Estate Girl said...

oooo i didnt see this earlier!

1. i am your dear friend becky from undergrad. and i must say that seeing for during your short break was not enough for me.

2. i'm at work now doing stuff, but currently updating my work blog.

3. i, like many others, wants to know when i will get a chance to go to a wedding!!!! all of us AAA people are just waiting for some kind of reunion. since everyone is spread across the world (except for me of course) it's going to require something big like that tohappen. also, i want to know when you're coming back!!!

4. i have laughed/almost thrown up once or twice ( i have a weak stomach, especially when it comes to bugs). i worry when i hear stuff about your health and i cry inside when i see pics of you! but i'm glad youre happy!

5. i think i've updated you on that through email. good times.

6. i miss your infectious smile, and your laugh, and your care free attitude! i miss my dancing and eating partner too! ugh, i'll stop now b/c im just getting depressed. take care of yourself! and let me know when you get my christmas card!

Indy Real Estate Girl said...

and yes, i like rose am interested in seeing a recent pic. more pictures please!

Unknown said...

1. Your FOBified friend Alice

2. I just finished writing a Negotiation paper and submitted it while trying to load Grey's Anatomy season 5 (I haven't seen American TV shows in a long time) and munching on chocolate-coated digestives biscuits

3. How have you changed and evolved throughout your Peace Corps experience? What do you have planned after your service?

4. I have mostly laughed and think that you could turn this blog into a book.

5. I woke up with my right eye swollen shut! I have a lot of issues with my eyes over here. I skyped with my mom so she could see and told me to go to the doctor asap but my brother Kenneth however couldn't stop laughing and pleaded with me to please allow him to put the picture of my swollen eye as his facebook profile pic. My cousin said I looked cracked out...I look back at the picture and laugh now!

6. Oh Tammy I miss playfully battling you on the dance floor, you singing Dancing Queen, bonding through deep spiritual conversations about life!

I hope you are healthy and well. You are one of the strongest and most inspirational women I know. I admire you greatly and am super proud of you! I love and miss you dearly!! =)

Unknown said...

How did I find your Blog:? did a Google search for Amoebic Dysentry The Gambia.
Why? Because I returned from The Gambia 8 weeks ago and have on and off stomach bugs ever since.
You? Which is worse - single celled monsters chewing on your gut, or throwing up at the taste of milk?
Find Out? When I get my sample to the doctor.
He you had a great time in The Gambia - we loved it.
Will be back? Depends on the sample test!!!